Utilities Building Enveloped in Early Morning Fire
Marion County, Fla.
Marion County Fire Rescue arrived on the scene to a fire at Water Plant C in the Silver Spring Shores (15 Oak Terrace, Ocala), a Marion County Utilities building, at 3:28 a.m.
Marion firefighters found the approximately 1,000 square foot commercial building completely engulfed in flames with a caved in roof. Reports of possible chlorine inside the water plant involved Marion County Fire Rescue's Hazmat team, who continued to look over the building for chlorine release while the crews extinguished the fire. The facility was not occupied at the time of the fire.
Flip Mellinger, the Marion County Utilities Director, said, "One of the two primary facilities has been effected. The other will continue to maintain service, so customers shouldn't see any effects. We are moving as quickly as we can to replace it...but it will likely be a year long process." Mellinger assessed the damages as a "...pretty significant loss."
The utilities building functions as a generator pump room. The Florida State Fire Marshal's Office is currently investingating the cause of fire. At this time the effected pump is not functioning, and it unclear to when it will be operating again.
- Brush Fire Near Apartment Buildings
- Fire Seriously Damages Apartment Building
- UF Building Destroyed by Fire
- Bathroom fire starts from dust build up
- Gainesville Fire Rescue Building Database
- Early Morning House Fire
- Early Morning Fire Destroys Home Near Jonesville
- Early Morning Fire Kills Five
- Early Morning Fire Destroys Gainesville Warehouse
- Early Morning Fire Destroys Gainesville Home