Church Members Accuse Pastor Of Swindling Thousands Of Dollars
Members of one Archer church say their pastor has duped them out of almost a million dollars. They want their money back, but say their pastor is refusing to pay up.
And now, they are second guessing his motives after loaning him hundreds of thousands of dollars. Money they haven't seen returned so on Saturday they protested outside the church hoping their pastor would take notice.
Loren Walbaum is hammering home his message hoping to get the attention of his church specifically the pastor of the Family Life Church of God in Archer. Walbaum, along with other members of the church, claim Pastor Greg Roberts owes them thousands of dollars for various church and construction projects. Money they say he hasn't paid back and they want answers.
"I trusted him," Walbaum said. "I mean, I was, I would have given him anything because I just trusted him. He was a likeable guy."
But, that trust has turned into disappointment. According to Walbaum, Roberts, is vice president of D&R Construction in Gainesville. Roberts approached Walbaum and other church members asking for money to help with construction contracts. They gave him the money, but haven't been reimbursed.
"It was always a promise, promise, promise we're getting you paid," Walbaum said. "There was nothing."
In documents obtained by TV20, several checks were made out to Roberts. One couple wrote two checks in the amount of 25 and 75,000 dollars. The homeowner, who signed these checks back in 2006, says his home has not been completed.
The Alachua County Sheriff's Office wrote a letter in October of last year stating they have opened a criminal investigation in Robert's activity.
Members of the church said no action has been taken. Roberts remains head pastor and their money has not been returned.
TV20 tried to contact Roberts on numerous occasions Saturday, but we got no response. We also tried calling D&R Construction, but their number has been disconnected and their website has been taken down.
- Family Life Church Members Meet to Discuss Pastor
- Melrose Duo Accused of Swindling Thy Neighbor
- Lake City Pastor Speaks Out About His Church's Nativity Scene
- Thousands of Dollars Worth of Tools Stolen from Two "Habitat for Humanity" Homes
- Judge Sets Accused Shooter's Bond at One Million Dollars
- Family Members Accused of Murdering One of Their Own
- Church Volunteer Accused of Molesting Toddler
- Local Pastor Arrested for Grand Theft and Racketeering
- Local Pastor and Islamic Relations Director Meet to Discuss Controversial Sign
- Charges Against Belleview Pastor Dropped