Brother Of UF Grad Student Shot By Police Speaks Out
Family members of the UF graduate assistant, who was shot by police Tuesday evening say they still have no idea what happened to their loved one, and the entire incident leaves them with more questions than answers.
The student's brother in now in Gainesville to be by his bedside and to speak out against the actions of those university police officers.
"I was told that he was resisting arrest and he was charging at officers which is not possible," Kwame Obeng said.
Speaking at a press conference Saturday afternoon, Kwame Obeng has words for the University Police Department.
Obeng, who came in town from Texas, says UPD did not have to shoot his brother Kofi Adu-Brempong while trying to arrest him Tuesday evening at the Corry Village Apartments.
He says police are keeping a tight lid on what happened and telling the family nothing.
"I was really shocked," Obeng said. "He is not a violent person and also physically, he is a crippled man."
Obeng says his brother can not stand with out his cane, nor can he run.
Tuesday, officers went to the apartment after a colleague told police Adu-Brempong was acting delusional.
According to the report, Adu Brempong threatened police with a knife and a pipe.
Officers tried to subdue him with a taser and a beanbag gun before shooting him with an m4 rifle.
Friends and family say this is police brutality.
Obeng has been the only one allowed to see his brother
"He's in serious condition as everybody knows and the recovery is gonna be a long one with multiple surgeries that have to be done in the future," Obeng said.
Officials with the FDLE say this is still an ongoing and active investigation.
Organizers say they are planning a protest for noon on March 16th at Turlington Plaza.
- No Charges For UF Grad Student Shot By Police
- Friend speaks out after Putnam County man shot, killed
- UF Police: Student Arrested After Using Police Scanner to Keep Police out of Party
- No Answers in University Attacks But One Student Speaks Out About the Suspect
- Family of UF Student Shot By Police Pays Bond
- Protest for UF Student Shot by Police
- Video Released on UF Student Shot by Police
- Tragedy in Bronson: 2yr old Accidentally Shot by 11 yr old Brother
- Jonas Brother Speaks Out About Diabetes
- University of Florida Grad Student Invents the "Bird Buggy"