Gainesville Fire Chief Resigns
This morning, City Manager Russ Blackburn informed the Gainesville City Commission that City Fire Chief Bill Northcutt is resigning his position effective March 29, 2010. In a media release sent to TV20, Blackburn said that Chief Northcutt has served as Gainesville’s Fire Chief for the past four years and has been an excellent leader and manager for Gainesville Fire Rescue. After more than 24 years total service with GFR, Chief Northcutt has indicated that he will exercise his option to retire in the near future. Blackburn stated that Northcutt leaves a well-trained and equipped department that has been dedicated to providing quality service with quality personnel since 1882. “Although it will be a significant loss for the City of Gainesville to have Bill leave the city organization, I anticipate that he will continue his commitment to the city in his new position with Alachua County Fire Rescue,” said Blackburn.
Effective March 29, 2010, Deputy Chief Gene Prince will serve as interim Fire Chief. “I have full confidence that that Chief Prince will continue the important work which is on-going within Gainesville Fire Rescue,” Blackburn said. Chief Prince has served the City of Gainesville for 25 years with hands-on experience in all positions within the department, including service during the past four years as Deputy Fire Chief. He successfully completed the prestigious National Fire Academy Fire Executive Officer program in May 2004.
Blackburn later announced in a memo that Northcutt will accept a job with the Alachua County Public Safety Office.
- Fire chief resigns after allegations of sexual harassment
- Lake Butler fire department closed; interim chief resigns
- Gainesville Police Chief To Resign July 6
- Fla. Education Chief Resigns Amid Grading Scandal
- Lake City Police Chief Resigns
- NAACP Calls for the Resignation of Lake City Police Chief and City Manager
- 2nd High Springs Police Chief Resigns
- Waldo Police Chief Resigns
- Former Lake City Police Chief On Resignation
- Dunnellon Police Chief resigns