Metcalfe Elementary Celebrates "Our Own Games" Milestone
Wednesday morning Metcalfe Elementary school in Gainesville celebrated the 30th Anniversary of "Our Own Games." It's an athletic competition for students with physical and cognitive impairments.
About 50 Metcalfe students competed in this year's event. 80 volunteers helped out with events like wheelchair and walker races, bowling, and basketball. Participants got the chance to show off their skills in front of hundreds of cheering fans.
"It's not focusing on who's different or who's not different," said Metcalfe parent Kat Gallagher. "It's focusing on being together and a sense of unity."
All students received a ribbon for competing. Metcalfe is home to one of the largest programs for physically-impaired students in the Alachua County School District.
- Potential Merger of Metcalfe and Rawlings Elementary Schools
- "Fix Our Roads"... For Or Against
- Illegal Online Gambling stopped in "Operation Game Over"
- RTS Makes Multiple Milestones
- Operation PetSnip Reaches Milestone Sterilizations
- Century Tower Reaches a Ringing Milestone
- Gainesville Porters Community Celebrates UF's First Football Game
- "Christmas for the Community" Celebration
- Noche de Gala Celebrates With "Enchanted" Evening
- Celebrate "On-air!"