UF Graduate Assistant Shot By Police Seemed Troubled
After an hour-long standoff, a University of Florida PHD student and graduate assistant was shot by police late Tuesday night.
Authorities say they received a call about 35-year old Kofi Adu-Brempong yelling loudly in his Corry Village apartment around 8:15pm on Tuesday. When they arrived he barricaded himself in. Police then forced there way inside about an hour later to find Adu-Brempong armed with a pipe and a
Despite being tased and shot with a bean bag he refused to cooperate. Police eventually fired two shots at him and said at least one hit him.
According to University of Florida officials, this is not his first encounter with police.
"There was nothing in any of the previous contacts that indicated he would be any kind a threat or danger to himself or anyone else," said UF spokesperson Steve Orlando.
University police has been out to the Adu-Brempong’s apartment Monday after colleagues expressed concern for his state of mind. According to a police report, Adu-Brempong felt persecuted when he was under pressure. The report also says that colleagues recently tried to help Adu-Brempong get counseling, but he refused.
"I've been here 22 years and we've never fired a firearm in the line of duty other than training," said UPD Capt. Jeff Holcomb. "So again this is not a normal occurrence here at the university,"
Adu-Brempong is a Ph.D. student from Ghana studying geography. He teaches a geography course to undergraduate students.
He is currently in the hospital, and his injuries do not appear life-threatening.
- Graduate Assistants Rally at UF for Lower Fees and More Benefits
- Assistant U.S. Attorney Shot
- Police Investigate Assistant State Attorney After Video Voyeurism Allegations
- Gainesville Police Trying To Keep Kids Out Of Trouble
- An Alachua County Budget Decision That Everyone Seems to Agree On...
- Police Officer Shot During Traffic Stop
- Former NFL Player Shot by Police
- Hatchet-Wielding Suspect Shot By Police
- Family of UF Student Shot By Police Pays Bond
- Man Shot and Killed During Argument, Police Say