Increased Patrols In Gainesville Neighborhood Lead To Harassment Claims
Residents living in one Gainesville neighborhood say enough is enough. Those living in the Pineridge housing complex want to take their concerns to Gainesville leaders.
For the past several weeks, Gainesville police has stepped up their patrols all in an effort to reduce crime at Pineridge. But those living there say they have been harassed and unfairly targeted by police, so they are starting a petition they hope will get the attention of Gainesville city commissioners.
As we reported last week, more than half a dozen residents were arrested on drug and other charges and because of the recent spike in crime, police decided to increase their patrols. Residents say that increase has cost them their livelihood. They want police to talk to the landlords and the residents to help make Pineridge a safer community.
'My landlord doesn't even have no problems with me," says Pineridge resident Pamela Morrison. "None of the ones who live with me here in this area don't have that problem but the ones that you all arrest, that they arrest, you just let them right back here to do the same thing and then you punish us all in the midst, you pissed off at the drug dealers."
Pamela Morrison says police officers are giving out unnecessary tickets and hopes Gainesville Police Chief Tony Jones will speak with the residents and get a better understanding of what the residents are going through.
- GPD Increases Patrol
- The Florida Highway Patrol Increases Patrols For "Staying Alive On I-75" Initiative
- Former Florida Judicial Assistant Claims Harassment
- Gainesville Woman Dies in Scooter Crash
- Gainesville Police Investigate Claims of Officer Bribery
- Gainesville Property Owners Claim Damages Against Woman with Questionable History
- Neighbors Say Dogs Are Ruling Gainesville Neighborhood
- Gang Activity Popping Up in Northwest Gainesville Neighborhood
- New Rules For Game Day Neighborhood Parking In Gainesville
- Bear on the Loose in Kirkwood Neighborhood in Southwest Gainesville