Lawyer: Beaten Teen Suffering From Brain Damage
FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. (AP) - The 15-year-old girl who authorities say was brutally attacked by another teen at a Florida middle school is suffering from brain damage.
Rick Freedman, a family lawyer for Josie Lou Ratley, says the teen suffered damage to the left side of her brain and cannot breathe on her own. He also said she is fighting off pneumonia.
Over the weekend, Freedman said doctors at Broward General Medical Center attempted to wean Ratley off coma-inducing drugs, but had to administer them again when she developed a high fever.
According to investigators, a 15-year-old boy punched and stomped on Ratley with steel-toed boots on the campus of Deerfield Beach Middle School. He has been held at a juvenile detention center on a charge of premeditated attempted murder.
- Lawyer: Zimmerman is No Threat, Should Be Released
- Lawyer: Zimmerman Prosecutor Withheld Evidence
- Teen Recovering After Spear Removed From His Brain
- Law Enforcement Officers More Likely To Suffer From Heart Disease
- Young girl sells pig to help friend suffering from cancer
- Scott Gets Claims Bill for Brain-Damaged Colorado Boy
- Gainesville Residents Clean Up Damage From Severe Storms
- Zimmerman's Lawyers Withdraw from Shooting Case
- Alachua Teen Steals from his Sick Grandmother
- Teen Escapes from Jail- again