Two Adults, Four Kids Killed in Three Vehicle Crash
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (AP) - A 57-year-old woman, her daughter and four of her grandchildren were on their way to celebrate the release of her son from prison when they were killed in a multiple car accident, authorities said.
The family was traveling from Georgia to Jacksonville Friday night when their van was clipped by a speeding car, sending it into the median, where it was hit by a pickup truck, according to the Florida Highway Patrol.
According to police, Pedro Juan Ocasio Alcazar, 38, of Jacksonville was speeding Friday when his car hit another vehicle on a major highway. That car then went into the median and hit a pickup truck.
Those who died were identified Saturday as Melissa L. Mitchell, 39, Miya Mitchell, 11, and 4-year-old twin brothers Christian and Keyshawn Perry, all of Lawrenceville, Ga. The others who died were Brenda Mitchell Edwards, 57, and Dhanja Mitchell, 16, both of Jacksonville.
Alcazar, who was not injured, was charged Saturday with six counts of vehicular homicide in connection with the deaths.
Online jail records show he was being held at the Nassau County jail on $300,000 bond. He was assigned a public defender, but jail records did not list the attorney's name.
FHP said alcohol didn't appear to be a factor, but the accident was still under investigation.
The location of the crash is about 20 miles northwest of Jacksonville.
(Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
- Two Passengers Critically Injured In Vehicle Crash
- Two-Vehicle Crash on Hwy 441; Authorities Still Searching for Driver
- Crash Kills Two Fathers and Two Teens in Dixie County
- Two Planes Crash In Williston; Three People Dead
- Three Killed in Crash on I-75
- Gainesville crash kills one, injures three
- Plane Crash Kills Three From North Central Florida
- Plane Crash Kills Two Men, NTSB Called in to Investigate
- Deadly crash kills two women on I-75
- Church Van Crash Kills Two