Cafe Gardens Closes Its Doors
For 34 years, it's been a popular place to get burgers and sweet potato fries, but on Sunday, many people's favorite restaurant is closing its doors.
They've come from all over, gators and alum, to have one last go around at Café Gardens. Patrons wrote messages on the sign that reads, "thanks Steve for over 34 years of memories."
"It makes me feel great that we've provided something for folks that they enjoy," Restaurant owner Steve McKinney said. "They can come in and have a place to relax and get some good food."
McKinney says the tough economy is to blame. He talks about the many experiences he's had over the years, and the staff he'll never forget.
"I was reminded last night of one of our former staff members, who met her husband here, they were both on the staff here." Mckinney said.
That staff member, Michelle Thomason, came in with her family to say goodbye. She says she remembers hers days here as a waitress 15 years ago.
"The people, who work here are like a family, and those same people are still my best friends today," Thomason said. "To me, it's the best part of Gainesville all wrapped up in one place and sad that others won't get to experience that."
Café Gardens will officially close at 8 p.m. Sunday.
- Books, Inc. and Book Lover's Cafe are Closing Their Doors
- Cafe Gardens Closing Down
- Final Act for Center Stage; Store Will Close Its Doors
- CHOICES Closing Their Doors
- Arbor House Expected to Close Doors After Catholic Charities Ends Contract
- Behind Closed Doors
- Shelter Officials Close Doors to Save Money
- The Volunteer Center, Closing It's Doors
- :08 of Gainesville Closes Its Doors
- Cub Scouts Go Door-To-Door Collecting Food For Gainesville Ministries