'Tis the season for Blueberries
It's blueberry season, and that means it's busy at BlueBela Farms in High Springs. With 2.5 acres devoted to blueberry bushes, owner Pedro Valdes says there's thousands of pounds ready to be picked. However, getting to that point is hard work.
"My day really starts around 2:30 in the morning," said Valdes, "I scare the deer away; I stay until about 4, when the irrigation comes on, then I go take a break and come back again around 6 in the morning."
Florida is one of the top producers of blueberries in the country. With about 2,500 acres harvested every year.
If you're up for the physical labor, picking saves. At $3.50 a pound, BlueBela's prices beat local supermarkets.
At Publix, blueberries are currently $2.99/pint, at Sweetbay, they're $2.50/ pint, and at Ward's, they are $3.99/pint.
- Blueberry Season Less than a Week Away in Florida
- Blueberries In The Cold
- Boom In Blueberries Could Be Impacted By Rain
- End of 2012 Atlantic Hurricane Season, Doesn't Mean an End to Recovery in Lake City
- One Thing you Won't See in Downtown Ocala this Holiday Season
- It's Flea Season, Are Your Pets Prepared?
- Eastside's Season Comes to an End in State Semifinals
- Wisconsin Hands Florida Basketball 1st Loss of 2013-'14 Season
- Florida's Flu Season Rated Moderately Severe
- Answers To Hurricane Season, Just A Click Away