Gainesville Man Dies While Saving Drowning Kids
A Gainesville man drowned while rescuing four kids from the water in Miami, and those who knew Douglas Butler say they're not surprised he risked his life.
Butler was in Miami to celebrate his birthday with family. His girlfriend, Mary Parker, says the day was perfect-- until, butler heard the four children screaming in the water off Key Biscayne.
Parker, says all she could do was watch helplessly from the shore as Butler and his nephew swam out to save the kids.
She says they were about a quarter mile off shore.
Butler helped put the children on to a rescue raft... and that was the last time anyone saw him alive.
Parker says doctors told her butler probably had a heart attack.
Witnesses say the children had been playing on a sandbar that collapsed.
Miami fire rescuers say the children, ages 3, 5, 12 and 15... all members of the same family... were taken to a hospital in Miami. the two oldest are expected to be fine. The other two are still in critical condition.
- Gainesville Man, 21, Drowns In Pool
- Police Say Gainesville Man Burglarized Home While Looking For Work
- Gainesville delivery man brutally attacked while delivering pizza
- 9-1-1 callers save time, while Marion County saves money
- College student saves teen from drowning
- Gainesville man dies overseas
- Teen Dies After 50-Foot Fall While Working For Tree Service
- Two Crossing Guards Die in a Car Crash While Off Duty
- 2 UF Students Die While Exploring Caves
- Kid saved from Dog by Deputy