Craig Carter defeats Susan Bottcher 53-47%...Todd Chase wins easily...Annie Orlando & Helen Warren go to runoff
Putnam Co. Beekeeper Accused of Stealing Bees, Honey From Competitors
CRESCENT CITY, Fla. (AP) - A northeast Florida beekeeper is under arrest after deputies say he stole bees, honey and equipment from his competitors.
Ruben Josey was arrested Thursday in Putnam County after deputies say they recovered 48 stolen beehives and other goods worth thousands of dollars.
The hives were reported stolen in December and January in Putnam and surrounding counties and possibly Georgia.
Local beekeepers said they had become increasingly suspicious Josey was the thief and gathered evidence against him. Each hive has a state registration number.
Josey, 45, was charged with dealing stolen property and larceny. He was being held Saturday on $50,000 bond. His business phone was disconnected Saturday and it could not be determined if he has an attorney.
(Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
- Busy Bees (National Honey Bee Awareness Week)
- UF Buzzing about Honey Bee Research
- Deputies: Man Accused Of Stealing Nearly $50,000 From His Workplace
- Putnam Co. Has A High Infant Mortality Rate
- Putnam Co. "Tardy" in Informing Parents of Attempted Abduction
- Gainesville Man Accused of Stealing Vehicle, Possessing Counterfeit Money
- Ocala Woman Accused of Stealing $53,000 In Checks
- Columbia County Sheriff's Employee Accused Of Stealing $100,000
- Power Hungry, Gainesville Man Accused of Stealing Electricity
- Correctional Officer Accused of Stealing Hundreds of Identities