Members of a controversial church were told to take their protest down a notch this afternoon.
Gainesville police officers say the Dove World Outreach Center demonstration on University Avenue was peaceful, but too loud. Police responded to a noise complaint about the protest in front of the Islamic Center near UF campus.
"We issued a noise warning because in the City of Gainesville, if there's amplified noise or noise in general in excess of 200 feet from a property line, it's in violation," said Gainesville Police Lt. Keith Kameg.
An officer stayed at the protest to make sure protesters and residents stayed safe.
Lt. Kameg also wants to warn drivers that it is important not to get distracted by the signs during this type of protest.
- Gainesville Church Sets Up Another Anti-Islam Display
- Parents Demonstrate For State Senators' Support
- DUI Demonstration in Dunnellon
- Tea Party Members Demonstrate in Ocala
- Maveric UAS Demonstration
- Local Pastor and Islamic Relations Director Meet to Discuss Controversial Sign
- Three New Islam Signs at Dove Outreach Center
- Governor's Anti-Murder Bill Advances In Legislature
- Public Meeting on Anti-Tethering Approved by Commissioners
- Anti-Butt Program Hopes To Keep Gainesville Streets Clean