Growing Columbia County's Economy
An inland port may be coming to Columbia County with hopes of job creation for all of North Central Florida. Local leaders met at Florida Gateway College today to celebrate the creation of a Rural Enterprise Zone. The zone is compromised of 14 counties including Columbia, Gilchrist, and Union counties. The title gives businesses state incentives to promote hiring.
"It prepares us to be more competitive in the global market which is coming. I mean it's here. It's coming. We want to be competitive," said State Representative Debbie Boyd.
State Representative Debbie Boyd and State Senator Charlie Dean championed the bill. The port would serve as a hub for trade and could create more than 2,500 jobs.
- Grow House Bust in Columbia County
- Alachua County's 'Foster Grandparents' On Hold Due to Government Shutdown
- Statewide Wage Theft Bill Fails, Paving the Way for Alachua County's Ordinance
- Committee is Proposing Changes to Alachua County's School Dress Code
- Alachua County's Teacher of the Year
- Silver Springs- County's Vision.
- Union County's Geordyn Green Wins High School Football Play of the Year Day 7!
- Marion County's Gold Star Mothers Recognized For The First Time
- Veterans Advisory Board Members Question County's Priorities
- Dixie County's Aaron Thomas and Shaquille Mitchem Win High School Play of the Year Day 3!