Growing Columbia County's Economy
An inland port may be coming to Columbia County with hopes of job creation for all of North Central Florida. Local leaders met at Florida Gateway College today to celebrate the creation of a Rural Enterprise Zone. The zone is compromised of 14 counties including Columbia, Gilchrist, and Union counties. The title gives businesses state incentives to promote hiring.
"It prepares us to be more competitive in the global market which is coming. I mean it's here. It's coming. We want to be competitive," said State Representative Debbie Boyd.
State Representative Debbie Boyd and State Senator Charlie Dean championed the bill. The port would serve as a hub for trade and could create more than 2,500 jobs.
- Huge Addition To Alachua County's Public Lands, Levy Prairie
- Search efforts for missing Lake City woman grows
- Billy Woods sworn in as Marion County's 35th Sheriff
- One of Bradford County's "Most Wanted" Arrested in Puerto Rico
- Suwanee County's Lost Homes In The Flood
- Gainesville/Alachua County's 10-Year plan to end homelessness- Part 2
- Marion County's Summer Games brings out athletes to compete
- A change to Gilchrist County's logo
- Alachua County's water quality tour
- FDLE: Sheriff's deputies cleared in Lake City shooting