Citizens Come Out in Support of Alachua County Sheriff
The half million dollar budget battle between Alachua County Sheriff Sadie Darnell and county commissioners is anything but over. The county commission heard heated public comment Tuesday night. Most were in favor of the sheriff's request to fund the gap instead of make more cuts. Darnell argued cuts simply aren't possible and public safety is on the line. Addressing the commission, she said weekend security over the proposed Koran burning best illustrates her department needs. She said she is prepared for a long fight.
"I have no other options than to take this to Tallahassee and what this will do is cause additional costs upon the community," said Darnell.
When asked about whether last night's comments by the public will effect the budget, County Commission Chair Cynthia Chestnut replied, "No comment." To see more on the meeting, click on the video to your right.
- Marion County Sheriff's Citizens Academy Back After 12 Years
- Neighbors speak out after meth lab found next door
- Commission opts out of MSTU, contracts with sheriff
- Fans Come Out To Support Raffy
- Deputies: string of burglaries span four counties
- Commissioners want less drug possession arrests, cut sheriff's budget
- ASO Major to be demoted for failure to supervise
- Nearly Two Years After Tree Trimming Accident, Mom Speaks Out
- Alachua County Sheriff Sadie Darnell: Full Interview
- ONLY ON 20: Budget appeal leaning in favor of Darnell