A local mechanic is "making it" in country music...
It's a story straight out of a country music song: a mechanic struggles to make a name for himself as a musician after being discovered on MySpace last year.
Meet Danny Wooten...by day he's your average working man as a bus technician with the Alachua County Schools, but by night he's trying to make his way in country music.
Wooten said, "It's like my superman thing you know...I run through the phone booth on the way out of here and boom, I'm a country singer at 6 o' clock."
Wooten's journey started early with a love of Elvis and Rock & Roll. But after moving from Michigan to Florida, he realized that country music is his true passion and that's when he started spending all of his spare time writing and recording songs, playing shows and chasing his dream.
Fast forward a few years and you get "Southern Slang." The band recently signed with a record label in Oklahoma and will get their first taste of the big time on October 9th as they open for country star Rodney Atkins in Orlando.
Wooten said, "Excitement's not the word I can use...I'm just ecstatic!" He encourages others who may have an unrealized dream, that they can do it too. He said, "Don't quit, don't give up! You know, believe in yourself...I mean if you got the love and support of your family and friends and God, you're gonna make it there."
Wooten says whether or not they ever become a part of country music history, it's all about the journey. He said, "Even if I never make it to the ultimate goal of living this "Nashville dream," I will at least have the satisfaction of lookin back and sayin, you know what, I gave it my best run and I'm gonna keep on doing it until they put me in the ground, I'm gonna keep on singing."
But for now, he isn't quitting his day job.
To find out more about Danny Wooten and his music, go to www.dannywooten.com.
- Downtown Ocala Business Owners: Renovation Troubles are "Worth It"
- Country Music Star is Buried in her Florida Home Town
- Astronaut Makes Music Video Aboard Space Station
- Mechanic Murdered in Belleview
- A Drug Known as"Molly" is Makes it's Way to Gainesville
- Marion County Firefighters "Pass The Boot", looking to make a difference
- Marion County Sheriff Makes "Bold" Proposal
- A "Green Home" Makes Some Neighbors See Red
- Major Banks Decide Monthly Debit Fee Doesn't Make "Cents"
- "Measure of Success" Part 3: Making It Work