Some Muslims Upset as New Sign Appears
Members of Gainesville's Muslim community are upset after a sign advertising one church's controversial book burning was erected just feet from their Islamic center. While it is unclear whether the sign itself was erected by the Dove World Outreach Center, its close proximity is hard not to notice along SW 13th street. The sign, advertising burn a Quran day, has already been spray painted on with the word "Nazis." The property owner, of where the sign stands, is registered to a man in Pinellas County, Florida. As to why he would allow the sign to go up remains unclear. Some at the nearby Islamic center see it as a sign of hate.
"I see it as a sign of terror. He's (Terry Jones) trying to terrorize my community. I see it as a sign of putting fear into my children, terror into my children. I see it as sign of bringing hatred into Gainesville," said 14-year Gainesville resident Adil Kabeer.
Gainesville's Muslim community says they have tried reaching out to Dove World Outreach Center's Pastor Terry Jones. However, they say he has refused to meet with them. To see more on the story, watch the video to your right.
- An Exclusive Inside Look at the New GPD Building- Using Some New Technology
- New state unemployment website up and running with difficulty for some
- Some Businesses Welcome New Year's Eve
- Lung Transplants Offer New Hope For Some Cystic Fibrosis Patients
- A Local Muslim Leader Has Faith that Pastor Jones Will Change His Mind...
- Grooveshark Signs New Licensing Agreement With EMI Publishing
- New Sign-Up System for Visiting Inmates, Less Arguments
- Three New Islam Signs at Dove Outreach Center
- Tea Party's Yoho A Major Upset in Florida
- Oak Trees Being Cut Down Upsets Residents