Growl Honors Performer
66-year-old Jake Mitchell was one of the first black entertainers to perform at Gator Growl. Hitting the stage with his band, "Little Jake and the Blenders" in 1960, Mitchell says, he was just 15.
"It was something new, it was a turn-around for integration, and for it to happen like that at the University of Florida, that was something big" said Mitchell.
Mitchell will be honored at Gator Growl on Friday, October 15.
- Dana Carvey to Perform at Gator Growl '09
- Military Vets Honored at 89th Annual 'Gator Growl'
- Gator Growl Lineup Announced
- Gator Growl 2007
- Gator Growl Stage Set Up
- Gator Growl Moves To Flavet Field
- Gator Growl
- Live With Gator Growl Producer
- Gator Growl's Change of Venue Brings Up Security Questions
- A New Kind of Gator Growl