Controversy at Alachua County School Board Meeting
Some people in attendance said Tuesday's swearing-in ceremony is the beginning of a divided Alachua County School Board. The evening began with celebration but within minutes of starting a seemingly routine vote turned the mood of packed room. One group of teachers walked out over a passionate disagreement with the board's choice to leave two term member Eileen Roy out of a leadership role. Some teachers felt it was a snub.
"This is a slap in the face. I feel bad for her and I feel bad for this community," said teacher Chris Ott.
Board member Barbara Sharpe disagreed and said it is the majority's right to choose and they have an obligation to choose who they think is best fit.
To see more on this story, watch the video to your right.
- Alachua County School Board to Approve Weeklong Thanksgiving Break
- Changes at the Alachua County School Board
- Alachua County School Board announces dedicated early learning center
- Alachua County School Board facing nearly $3 million deficit
- Alachua County school board to finalize SRO/SRD program contract
- Limbaugh Family Unites After School Board Controversy
- CHOICES Advisory Board Holds Special Meeting
- Heightened Security at Local School Board Meeting
- School Board votes to close Waldo Community School
- Alachua County School Board Debates Implementing School Uniforms