Cab Drivers Accused of Illegal Pricing
Cab companies in Gainesville have been taking people for a ride. An undercover operation found that nearly every cab company in Gainesville had a driver who skipped using the meter potentially over-charging customers. After complaints from students about astronomical and vague cab fares, University of Florida and Gainesville police went undercover with volunteers.
Out of 19 rides taken, 11 drivers didn't bother to use the meter.
"The opportunity if they were going to be overcharged is certainly there," said UPD Chief Linda Stump.
The fine for each violation is just 50 dollars. To see more on this report including one taxi driver's take, watch the video to your right.
- Alachua County Man Arrested After Threatening Cab Driver With Butcher's Knife
- Alachua Mayor Accused Of Attacking Driver & Using Racial Slurs While Drunk
- Drivers Are Not The Only Ones Hurting From Gas Prices
- Attorney Found Guilty For Illegal Internet Cafes
- Texting & Driving May Soon Be Illegal In Florida
- Illegal Backyard Burning
- Illegal Immigrant Smugglers Will Face Penalties
- Unattended Animal Tethering Now Illegal in Marion County
- Advantage Towing gets 10 citations for Illegal Towing
- Internet Cafes are Now Illegal in Florida