Children's Hospital in Gainesville Makes Cents
Florida head basketball coach Billy Donovan, is putting one Gainesville family's dream, on a national stage.
Donovan is supporting the Sebastian Ferrero Foundation in the ESPN "Infiniti Coaches' Charity Challenge" fueling the mission of the foundation's creators- building a children's hospital in Gainesville.
"Our main focus is to promote patient safety and excellency in pediatric care, and we are advancing very fast" said Horst Ferrero, founder of the Sebastian Ferrero Foundation.
A children's hospital in Gainesville makes "cents," according to a University of Florida study that looks at economic contributions of all hospitals in the state.
"When people come to a facility like that, they bring their money with them, and provide new money and new spending in the local economy that stimulates economic development, and creates employment" said Alan Hodges Ph.D., co-author of the study.
Hodges says the state's hospital sector continued growing during the recession from 2007 to 2009.
"It is one sector that seems to be resistant to the effects of economic downturn, and is providing new jobs even at a time when unemployment is increasing," said Hodges.
Florida has the fourth highest unemployment rate in the nation; current and future hospital projects may be the state's silver lining.
The building of the first phase of the Sebastain Ferrero Children's Hospital will begin this summer.
To help Coach Billy Donovan win $100,000 for the Sebastian Ferrero Foundation on ESPN's Infinity Coaches' Charity Challenge, click here
- Shands Children's Hospital Among Best in Nation
- A Local Boy Named "Florida Champion" of Children's Miracle Network Hospitals
- Death of Son, Leads to New Foundation and Future Children's Hospital
- Ferrero Foundation Hosts Event To Raise To Build Children's Hospital
- Force Sisters Visit Children's Hospital Before Race
- UF Shands Children's Hospital Opens New Entrance
- Gainesville Duck Derby Raises Money For Children's Support Agencies
- Gainesville Children's Theatre, Singing Their Way Through The Community
- Major Banks Decide Monthly Debit Fee Doesn't Make "Cents"
- Stop Children's Cancer Raises Awareness for Pediatric Cancer