Copper as a Hot Commodity
Copper is not considered a precious metal but in Marion County more people are willing to steal it.
According to figures from Marion County Sheriffs, copper thefts in the county rose by 200 percent with 217 cases in 2010, from 54 in 2009.
Saturday, two air conditioning compressor units from the First Baptist Church of Silver Springs were stolen.
Monday, the compressor from the Calvary Baptist Temple in Dunnellon was also stolen.
Also Monday, two a.c. compressors at the Sutton Place Apartments in Ocala were pried into. Their large copper coils stolen.
The price of copper is currently at $4.35 per pound, compared to just over $3 dollars mid-year 2010.
Experts predict the price of copper will remain over $4 dollars well into 2011.
- Hot Commodities
- Commodity Distribution for Alachua County
- Copper Theft Down-- For Now
- Law Hopes To Deter Copper Thieves
- Copper Thefts
- New Copper Theft
- Copper Theft On The Rise
- New Copper Ordinance Scrapped until next County Meeting
- Thieves Busted for Stealing Copper
- For Sale Homes A Target For Copper Thieves