Corrections Officer Arrested
Corrections officers keep tight control over inmates, but in Marion County one deputy now finds himself facing charges for smuggling marijuana into jail.
Now two separate departments have launched investigations.
Authorities say Joseph Jones, a corrections officer with the Marion County Sheriff's Department, had recently been promoted.
An official with the Florida Department of Law Enforcement said he tried to deliver a chicken teriyaki sub with marijuana and incense inside and a cell phone to inmates.
Jones was arrested Wednesday night and charged with principle to introducing contraband into a detention facility, possession of marijuana not more than 20 grams, and introduction of contraband into a detention facility.
According to the FDLE, deputies had intercepted suspicious calls and had their eyes on Jones.
The Florida Dept. of Law Enforcement and Marion County Sheriff's investigators followed Jones to a Subway on State Road 40 in Ocala where they saw Jones pick up the sub from Ashley Kiser and Teresa Meyers, girlfriends of the two inmates involved, Travis Cottrell and Anthony Carter.
Once Jones arrived at the jail, the 5 year corporal was arrested.
In arrest affidavits, Jones says that in return for delivering the sub, inmate Travis Cottrell promised him a roast beef sandwich, a bottle of Patron tequila, and an introduction to a female stripper.
Jones denied knowing there was 8 grams of pot in the sandwich.
Jones told investigators he planned to use the cell phone to take a picture of Cottrell and give it to his girlfriend.
Jones has been suspended without pay from the Marion County Sheriff's Department who have launched an internal investigation.
- Bradford County Corrections Officer Arrested for Attempted Murder
- Putnam Corrections Officer Arrested on Drug Charges
- Correctional Officer Charged With Possession of Child Pornography
- Van Poyck Executed for Murder of South Florida Corrections Officer
- Corrections Officer Quits
- Donations For Killed Corrections Officer
- Inmates, officers injured in riot at Suwannee Correctional Institution
- Correctional Officer Accused of Stealing Hundreds of Identities
- Correctional Institute on Lockdown After Officer Attacked
- Union County Correction Officers On Trial