Growing Into Better Choices
Students at Eastside High School are planting seeds of change through a program that promotes healthier eating habits for kids at risk of obesity.
The school's pre-collegiate program installed five organic vegetable gardens provided by the Gainesville's Florida Organic Growers.
The non-profit works with schools who have a high obesity rate and a large number of children enrolled for free of reduced lunch.
Fruits and vegetables from the garden will be used by students enrolled in the Culinary Arts Program to help them prepare for their careers using seasonal ingredients grown locally.
Since 2008, when the program began, more than 200 gardens have been installed throughout Alachua County.
The program depends on grants, including support from Alachua County and the city of Gainesville.
- Alachua County Commissioners Make a Choice about CHOICES
- Better Bandage from UF
- Better Bussing
- Better Detection for Prostate Cancer
- Free Home Repairs, Better Quality Of Life
- Bus Drivers Push For Better Contract
- Senior Citizens Seeking Better Protection
- A lot more CHOICES
- Right Choice, Wrong Time?