Ocala Celebrates Martin Luther King Jr. Day
The rain didn't stop people in Ocala from celebrating Martin Luther King Jr. Day.
Umbrellas in hand, people marched from the City's Downtown Square to the Martin Luther King, Jr. Recreation Complex Monday morning.
Despite the weather there was singing, smiles and plenty of food using recipes handed down from generation to generation.
The chair of the MLK Commemorative Committee, Ire Bethea, helped plan this year's events. He told TV20 he hopes people of all races appreciate Dr. Martin Luther King's fight for equality.
"What we are celebrating here is Dr. King's move for peace, justice equality and unity, fairness in every sense of the word, and not just for African Americans," Bethea said.
Several local leaders participated in this year's celebration.
Although the rain made the event a bit wetter than in years' past, people continued to visit the park through the late afternoon.
- Local Martin Luther King, Jr. Day 2015 Events
- Students Volunteer in Memory of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Hundreds of people in Ocala March to remember Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
- Ocala: Martin Luther King Day March Road Closures
- Martin Luther King Jr. Events
- Parts of University Avenue were closed down for hundreds to honor Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
- Martin Luther King Celebrations
- Gainesville Celebrates Martin Luther King Jr.
- MLK Celebrations Begin
- Gainesville celebrates MLK Jr.'s 88th birthday