One Year Anniversary
A year has passed but the trauma remains for the people of Dixie County. One year ago today, Sheriff's Captain Chad Reed was shot and killed in the line of duty. His accused killer has not gone to trial. One woman says Reed saved her life that day. She was working as the cashier at the BP gas station when tragedy struck. Tracy Varnum still gets flashbacks of the night that she stood and watched it all unfold.
Varnum says she didn't want to be at work today, because for her, that day is fresh in her mind. She says "Chad was first on the scene." Reed was shot when murder suspect John Kalisz opened fire. Varnum believes if Reed hadn't gotten there as soon as he did, Kalisz could have come after her.
She is sorrowful for Reed's death, and the family he left behind, but thankful, that she's alive to tell the story.
Reed was a hero to those who knew him and touched the lives of many in his young life. When he died, he left behind his wife Holly and two sons CJ and Caden.
- Gainesville Runners Remember Boston Marathon Victims on One Year Anniversary of Bombings
- The One Year Anniversary of Paws on Parole
- Catholic Priest Celebrates 30 Year Anniversary
- 10 Year Anniversary Of Fallen Deputy Brian Litz
- 10 Year Anniversary of Local Serviceman's Death in Iraq
- Couple Celebrates 69 Year Anniversary
- Christian Aguilar App Launched One Year After His Murder
- Remembering Curtis and Dante One Year Later
- Woman's Roof has Leaked for Three Years- Now She's Getting a New One
- Mental Health Care System, One Year After Sandy Hook Shooting