Remembering the Challenger, 25 Years Later
It was just 73 seconds after takeoff- an explosion that is forever etched in the minds of those who witnessed it.
On the 25th Anniversary of the Challenger Space Shuttle disaster, those who witnessed it, remember that unforgettable day.
"I was teaching, and i was in the middle of class, and one of the other teachers came running into my room, and said you need to turn on the TV, because the Challenger just exploded," said Rodney Estes, a history teacher at Gainesville High School.
"...it bothered me so much, i couldn't turn it on," said Estes, who was teaching middle school students in Alachua on January 28, 1986.
"There are vivid moments that freeze in your mind, everybody remembers exactly where they were, and what they were doing, because they had such a huge impact" said Estes.
"I've spoken to kids who happen to be standing at their chemistry lab window at Stuyvesant High School and saw the plane fly into the World Trade Center," said Dr. Daniel Tucker, a child psychiatrist who says today, a more immediate media is exposing kids to greater truths than ever before.
Estes says it's important for kids to talk to cool-headed leaders, and communicate their feelings after unforgettable events like September 11, and the Challenger explosion.
"I think it's important for kids to vocalize how they feel, and how it's affected their lives, and even on anniversaries like this, I think it's good to remind ourselves of what these people contributed to our society, and never forget what they did for us," said Estes.
- Remembering Curtis and Dante One Year Later
- GPD Remembers Fallen Lieutenant Seven Years Later
- Remembering Vietnam veterans 50 years later
- 6 years later, disappearance of Haleigh Cummings remains cold
- Family of Slain Teenager Paints 34th Street Wall, Seeks Justice Four Years Later
- Search for Omar Gibson Continues One Year Later
- Two Years Later, Alachua County's Airboat Noise Ordinance Goes Unenforced
- Paynes Prairie Bison- One Year Later
- Six Years Later and Doing Well
- Missing Two Year Old Found Hours Later