Verbal Smackdown Inside Alachua County Commission Meeting
Elected representatives inside an Alachua county commission meeting Tuesday night let loose. A sheriff's office presentation quickly transformed into a match up between Sheriff Sadie Darnell and Commissioner Mike Byerly. Darnell accused him of being disrespectful of law enforcement. He argued with crime rates down the sheriff's office shouldn't get any more money.
"Long term steady decline in the calls of service for the sheriff means there is less call load, less calls for service, less crime to respond to and that in my mind needs to translate at some point into less budget," said Byerly.
"What he (Byerly) does is approach it in a very knee jerk, simplistic way of saying those numbers are going down therefore people need to go down. It won't work," said Darnell.
To see a full report, watch the video on the right side of this page.
- Emotional Goodbye, Alachua County Commission Chair's Last Meeting
- County Millage Rates Discussed at Commission Meeting
- Recordings of County Commission Meeting Center of Lawsuit
- Alachua County Commission Makes Final Choice for County Manager
- Alachua County Sheriff Asks County Commission For More Money
- Cynthia Chestnut New Chair of Alachua County Commission
- Alachua County Commission Advances Wage Theft Ordinance
- Alachua County Commission Votes to Keep Archer Braid Trail Out of Haile Plantation
- Alachua County Commission Advances Plans for New Mixed-Use Development
- Investigation into Alachua County Commission