Verbal Smackdown Inside Alachua County Commission Meeting
Elected representatives inside an Alachua county commission meeting Tuesday night let loose. A sheriff's office presentation quickly transformed into a match up between Sheriff Sadie Darnell and Commissioner Mike Byerly. Darnell accused him of being disrespectful of law enforcement. He argued with crime rates down the sheriff's office shouldn't get any more money.
"Long term steady decline in the calls of service for the sheriff means there is less call load, less calls for service, less crime to respond to and that in my mind needs to translate at some point into less budget," said Byerly.
"What he (Byerly) does is approach it in a very knee jerk, simplistic way of saying those numbers are going down therefore people need to go down. It won't work," said Darnell.
To see a full report, watch the video on the right side of this page.
- Disagreements result in cancelled joint commission meeting
- Staff Recommends County Commission Deny Plum Creek Plan
- Two Bodies Found Inside Apartment from Apparent Murder-Suicide
- Alachua County Commission Advances Plans for New Mixed-Use Development
- Sheriff, commission reach agreement over budget appeal
- Early Voting For Gainesville City Commission
- Alachua County Commission Advances Wage Theft Ordinance
- County Commission Reverses Original Decision, Approves Archer Braid Trail Through Haile Plantation
- Alachua County Commission Votes to Keep Archer Braid Trail Out of Haile Plantation
- County Commission Votes in Favor of Budget Cuts to Community Agency Partnership Program