Fires Causing Road Closures
Lightning has moved out of our area, but high winds have not and that's keeping several fires fairly active for crews working in Levy County and elsewhere in North Central Florida.
Firefighters on the bad land and swamp fires near State Road 121 near the Goethe State Forest continued to face an aggressive situation throughout the night but things have calmed again this morning.
Yesterday dry and windy conditions helped the bad land fire jump containment lines on the south end and spread embers and flames west into the forest.
The Swamp Fire also grew and jumped State Road 121 and took off to the north.
Both fires are now over 2500 acres and resources have been pulled from out of the district to help the Division of Forestry and volunteer and local fire departments.
Neither are threatening homes but are testing containment lines.
Several road closures have resulted from the heavy smoke in the areas closest to the fires.
The roads affected have since been reopened, but as fire conditions become more active in the afternoon, Florida's Highway patrol could impose new closures.
For the latest on road closures visit Florida Highway Patrol.
- Fire Causes Road Closures in Bradford County
- Paul Ryan Visit Will Cause Road Closures
- Marion County Brush Fire Closes Roads, Causes Evacuations
- U.S. 301 closure causes frustration
- List of Road Closures from Tropical Storm Debby
- Ocala: Martin Luther King Day March Road Closures
- Rising River Levels Lead to Road Closures in Levy County
- Update: Williston Road Closures
- Marathon Road Closures
- Debby Road Closures