Man Dies in Grass Fire
A man from Marion County has been found dead- his body severely burned- near a grass fire in Umatilla.
Around 2pm this afternoon rescue crews arrived at a one-acre grass fire off Southeast 252nd Avenue. While working to extinguish the fire, crews found the body of an adult man.
A 911 caller told dispatchers they saw the man burning something in his backyard before the grass fire started.
Fire officials say it is a somber reminder for people to abide by the burn ban.
"If they have trash, anything, even if it's a small pile, and they fall within regular burn guidelines, right now because we are under a mandatory burn ban they need to not burn at all, and take it to a local landfill or do something like that," Marion County Spokeswoman, Miranda Iglesias told TV20.
Exactly how the man died is being investigated by the Fire Marshal's office.
- Neighbor Causes 20-Acre Grass Fire
- Grass Fires Ignite Across North Central Florida
- Man Dies in Citra House Fire
- Marion County Man Dies in House Fire
- Man Dies in House Fire
- 89 Year Old Man Dies in House Fire
- Man from Belleview dies from trailer catching on fire
- Type of Grass Improves Business for Dairy Farmers
- Lake City Police Officer Dies in Early Morning Fire
- Five Year Old Dies in Fire