Citizens Co-op Holds Grand Opening
If you're into homeade pasta sauce from Satchels, fair-trade chocolate, and organic honey...more options have opened up for you in Gainesville.
Tonight is the grand opening of Gainesville's Citizen's Co-op.
The Co-op -- which features organic products and good from local farmers -- will be one of several fresh market options in Gainesville, but the only co-op in the city.
Founders say that having a co-op made sense, because they didn't have enough money to open a store, but they wanted a way to create an outlet for local farmers.
It took four years of grass roots organizing, fundraising, and renovating the store space.
And now $300 thousand dollars and 800 members later, founders say the co-op represents a successful community project.
The festivities -- which are open to the public -- begins at 6pm.
The opening features live music, prize give-aways, and microbrew tasting.
Additionally, there will be a 10 percent discount on all items for members of the co-op
- Former Employees Of Citizen's Co-op Protest For The Second Day In A Row
- Citizen's Co-Op Manager Looks Forward, As Some Members Disgree With Recent Decisions
- Food Co-op Urges Residents Buy, Eat Local
- Citizens Co-op: Farmer's Market
- Pollo Tropical Restaurant Grand Opening
- Grand Opening for Emergency Operations Center---In the Nick of Time
- Cancer Center Grand Opening
- Archer Celebrates Grand Opening of Community Center
- Alachua County 4H Holding Open House
- Animal Services to Hold Open House