Budget Cuts Impact Hours, Staff at County Health Department
It was just last month that a budget crunch forced Alachua County's Health Department to reduce its hours.
But with an almost million dollar budget deficit, staff say hours may not be the only thing getting cut.
The hours were reduced at the beginning of July.
The department now closes at 6pm instead of 7:30, Monday through Friday.
And it is completely closed on Sunday.
Staff say there hasn't been negative feedback from clients about the reduced hours.
However, another casualty of the decreased budget may have a greater impact...staff layoffs.
In the past three months, at least 10 people have been laid off, and more is expected, health officials say.
Staff say they've lost $700,000 from the state and $200,000 from Medicaid revenue. A grant was also reduced by $50,000.
- The Budget Impacts Staff and Inmates at the Alachua County Jail
- After Eight Hours, Barricaded Man Surrenders to Police
- Alachua County schools cut support staff positions
- Commissioners want less drug possession arrests, cut sheriff's budget
- State leaders promote disaster readiness
- Alachua County Commissioners Cut $470,000 from Proposed ASO Budget
- Group protests library budget cuts
- Public Work's Department Cuts Costs, Without Cutting Staff
- Marion County Boys & Girls Club has taken another budget cut
- County Commission Votes in Favor of Budget Cuts to Community Agency Partnership Program