Killer Sentenced in Drug Murders
A drug deal gone bad is what brought deputies to an Alachua county home last year-- where a killer used his gun again, but now he's paying for it.
"When he was bagged tagged and the ambulance left slowly, I figured he was gone," said Scott Roney, who witnessed the shootout last year.
"You don't run from detectives when they knock on your door- you don't run from the SWAT team unless you're guilty," he said.
Mitch Smith, 32, survived a shoot out with a sheriff's deputy, but his life on the outside is over. On Monday Smith was indicted for two counts of first degree murder.
"He was facing possible death penalty in this case- I think he felt it was in his best interest to try to resolve it before it went any further," said Spencer Mann, State Attorney's spokesperson.
Last year deputies found Anthony Hall and Sharon Norman, both 37-year-old Gainesville residents, dead from gunshot wounds. Their bodies were left on the side of south west 85th avenue in alachua county.
"Some type of confrontation occurs and as a result of it, the defendant shoots and kills both of the victims then flees the scene," he said.
Two days later cell phone records bring a SWAT team to Smith's front door, and his neighbors hear the gun shots.
Smith plead "no contest," and a judge sentenced him to two life sentences plus 15 years for the aggravated assault on the law enforcement officer to run concurrent with the life sentences.
Mann says the victim's families read statements before Smith's sentencing Monday morning.
- Ocala Murder Sentencing
- Gregory Dove is sentenced for murder
- Maranda Martin Sentenced to Life in Prison for Murder of Paul Quandt Sr.
- Hooper, Wright Sentenced to Life in Seath Jackson Murder Case
- Man Gets 4 Consecutive Life Sentences for Murder
- Ocala Man Convicted of Murder, Sentenced to 22 Years in Prison
- Bryant sentenced in Williams' murder
- Murder in Ocala believed to be drug related
- St. Petersburg Man Sentenced for Firearms, Drugs
- Oscar Pistorius sentenced to 6 years in prison for murder