Local Man Drowns at Lake Weir
A boating day out on the water turned deadly for one Marion County couple.
One man is dead, his fiancee, lucky to be alive.
Marion County Sheriff officials say the couple, 57-year-olds Donald Masini and Roxanne White were out boating on Lake Weir at Carney Island Park in Oklawaha on Sunday.
The couple was swimming when their boat drifted away.
White was rescued after treading in the water, but Masini did not make it.
Three agencies, a dive team and a helicopter tried to locate Masini. Monday morning his body was recovered.
"He's a big teddy bear," David Anderson, a friend of the couple told TV20 of Masini. "He'd just come up to ya, 'hey, how you doing? Nice to meet ya. I see your new here, this is what goes down here, this is our stomping grounds, this is where we boat,'" Anderson said.
Masini, of the Shores, owned his own motorcycle repair shop.
Just last June, two people also drowned at Lake Weir.
Officials are urging boaters to be safe this Labor Day weekend by being aware of the weather, having the required emergency equipment on board, and anchoring the boat down if jumping into the water. For boater safety information, visit marionso.com or myfwc.org.
- Lake Weir Drowning
- Double Drowning During Family Reunion at Lake Weir
- Victims Of Lake Weir Drowning Recovered
- Teens Arrested for Vandalizing Lake Weir Middle School
- Trevante Taylor Arrested at Lake Weir Football Game, Facing Trouble On 3 Fronts
- Deadly bacteria causing deaths in Lake Weir
- Body Found In Lake Weir After Woman Falls Off Boat
- Lake Weir Middle School Student Hit By Truck, Dies
- Lake Weir Middle School Receives Instruments
- 21-Year-Old Man Drowns At Popular Dixie County Swimming Spot