Craig Carter defeats Susan Bottcher 53-47%...Todd Chase wins easily...Annie Orlando & Helen Warren go to runoff
3 Lake City officers shot
The three officers are in stable condition, police say the suspect, Jesse Custer, 26, is dead.
"I bet he shot 50 times or more," said a witness.
A domestic violence call brought officers to 391 NW Irma Street in Lake City, just after noon.
"The suspect which was a white male came out of the residence, and started firing at the officers," said Cpt. John Blanchard, LCPD spokesperson.
Custer opened fire, shooting investigator David Greer, Officer Mitchell Cline, and Sgt. Jason Byrd.
Custer then barricaded himself inside the home for hours; and he wasn't exactly alone.
"Long guns, shot guns, and possibly some explosives," said Sheriff Mark Hunter, Columbia County Sheriff's Office.
People living within a four block radius of the home were evacuated, and businesses were locked-down.
For more than five hours, officers tried getting Custer out of the house, but were unsuccessful.
"At some point you gotta decide that we're going to go in...we took the bob cat and started opening up the windows," said Hunter.
According to police, Custer was moving around in the house trying to avoid their equipment.
"We're not sure exactly when, but the suspect took his own life," he said.
Greer and Cline have been released from the hospital.
Byrd had to undergo surgery and is in stable condition.
- Lake City Officer Shooting
- Lake City Police Officer Arrested: She Turned Herself In
- Lake City Police Officer Dies in Early Morning Fire
- Officer Brandi Jackson Honored in Lake City
- Palatka Police Officer Shot
- Man Shot by Gainesville Police Officer During High Speed Car Chase
- Lake City Police Chief and City Manager Aren't Going Anywhere
- NAACP Calls for the Resignation of Lake City Police Chief and City Manager
- Lake City Residents Waiting for Relief After Debby
- Man Says Devil Made Him Assault Girl According to Lake City Police