Final Alachua County FY11/12 Budget Adopted
They raised the tax rate, but then gave a little back.
Alachua County Commissioners finalized next year's budget tonight with a 3 to 2 vote (Susan Baird and Lee Pinkoson were in dissent).
The $318 million dollar budget is slightly lower than originally planned, commissioners lowered the millage rate enough to erase a $380 thousand dollar surplus.
That still represents a millage rate increase for taxpayers, but Commissioner Mike Byerly says since property values have declined, taxpayers will not pay much more next year.
Byerly said, "The difference between the tea party position basically and the county commission that's about to adopt this budget is 10 dollars a head for the year."
But the many of the residents in attendance spoke out against the millage increase, saying the county should reduce it's budget more.
Rod Gonzalez said, "You know we just keep increasing. The cost for Kanapahah is higher than we wanted, the jail air conditioner is higher than we needed, the cost for expanding 24 and 16th is more than we needed..."
Other decisions made tonight include allocating $125 thousand dollars for the county to take over management of Poe Springs. Also, Blessed Hope Food Pantry in Newberry did not receive the $40 thousand dollars requested.
Commissioners did give Florida Organic Growers $29 thousand dollars for its food stamp program at farmers markets.
- Alachua County Commissioners Cut $470,000 from Proposed ASO Budget
- County Commission Votes in Favor of Budget Cuts to Community Agency Partnership Program
- County commissiners reduce sheriff's budget
- Alachua County school board to finalize SRO/SRD program contract
- Commissioners want less drug possession arrests, cut sheriff's budget
- Record Breaking Number of Free Adoptions in Alachua County
- Adoption Screening in Alachua County
- Superintendent talks budget
- Alachua County Democratic Party Wants Alachua County Democratic Black Caucus Charter Revoked
- Alachua County Firefighters Protest Tentative County Budget