One Ocala, One America
A musical celebration, children’s event, an outdoor movie and a festival on the Downtown Square will highlight the annual One Ocala, One America Week, Oct. 2-8.
The observance is designed to promote racial harmony and cultural awareness. It is coordinated by the City’s Racial Harmony and Cultural Awareness Task Force, which is chaired by City Councilwoman Mary Rich. The task force is comprised of a group of volunteers of diverse backgrounds.
The public is invited to the following free events:
Wednesday, Oct. 5 – Celebration in Music and Dance – 7 p.m. at Marion Technical Institute, 1614 SE Fort King St. Talented local musicians and dancers stage an extravaganza around a theme geared to promote racial harmony and cultural awareness.
Thursday, Oct. 6 – Kids Involved in Diversity Social (K.I.D.S.) – 6 p.m. at the E.D. Croskey Center, 1510 NW 4th St. This event includes music, dance, crafts, displays and other activities with a multicultural theme.
Friday, Oct. 7 – Movie on the Downtown Square – 7:30 p.m. The featured film will be the “Karate Kid” 2010 version. Free popcorn and drinks will be served. Attendees are encouraged to bring blankets and chairs.
Saturday, Oct. 8 – Ocala Cultural Festival – 1-8 p.m. at the Downtown Square. This outdoor festival provides a venue to showcase the food, music and crafts of the various cultures within our community.
Other events include the announcement of the Mary Sue Rich Racial Harmony and Cultural Awareness Award recipients.
- Three Men Gunned Down in Downtown Ocala, Man Believed to be Responsible in Custody
- Oil Spill on SE 17th St. in Ocala, Traffic Temporarily Detoured
- Easter Eggs-Travaganza in Ocala, Home of PAAS Egg Coloring Kits
- New Road in Ocala Helping to "Change America"
- One Case of Equine Herpes in Ocala Showgrounds
- E-One to Stay in Ocala
- Second Ocala Home Invasion in One Week
- One of Five Charged With Ocala Teen Murder Requests Bond
- One Thing you Won't See in Downtown Ocala this Holiday Season
- One Family In Ocala Proudly Celebrates National Adoption Month