Postal Service Moving Processing and Distribution to Jacksonville
The postal service is filling out a "Change of Address" form for Gainesville's processing and distribution facility.
It's moving to Jacksonville.
The closure of the facility was formally announced Friday, but foreshadowed at a public meeting held in May.
Postal workers had hoped to save their jobs, or at least delay the move.
The transition should be finished in January. Some employees may be moved to Jacksonville's facility.
USPS leaders say they hope to save money to offset a 20 percent decrease in mail volume since 2007.
- Commodity Distribution for Alachua County
- Sandbag distribution begins in Marion County
- Gainesville Woman Asks For Help Distributing Haiti Relief Supplies
- Man Accused Of Possessing, Distributing Child Pornography
- USPS to Announce Closure of Mail Processing Facilities
- Postal Service considers emergency rate hike
- University Plane Crash Investigation Process Begins
- Postal Service Town Meeting
- Saving the Mail: Postal Workers Rally Nationwide
- Postal services cuts