$179,000 Alachua County Jail Study Moves Forward
The keys to the Alachua County Jail will remain with Sheriff Sadie Darnell, despite a tumultuous meeting with county commissioners today.
Commissioners voted to go forward with a $179 thousands dollar jail study over Darnell's protests. Members of the jail employee union support it because they say a study could improve efficiency and savings.
The study will analyze staffing levels, management practices, and employees' opinions among other things.
The Sheriff presented a compromise that would provide more staff, without the study...saying without a commitment by the board to hire more detention officers, she would not manage the jail in the future. But Commissioners made a compromise of their own, committing to hire the number of staffers recommended in the study and to negotiate another inter-local agreement with the Sheriff.
- County commission still moving forward with study
- Study Ordered for the Alachua County Jail
- Alachua County Jail Study
- City, County Commissioners Ready to Move Forward after Joint Meeting
- "10,000 Homes Initiative" Could Upgrade Homes in Alachua County
- Alachua County Jail Program Saving Money and Aiming To Change Lives
- The Budget Impacts Staff and Inmates at the Alachua County Jail
- A Crime Caught On Tape at the Alachua County Jail
- The Alachua County Jail Is Going Green
- Inmates at the Alachua County Jail Are Using Their "Time" Wisely