Alachua County Sheriff's Deputies Sweep for Sexual Offenders
It was a sweep meant to keep sexual offenders and predators in line with their probation. But deputies wanted to reassure families, the danger really isn't that great.
Sexual predators are prohibited from dressing up or even participating in Halloween activities.
But officers patrolled the streets just to make sure. In Alachua County, deputies went door to door to make sure no one violated their probation. Todd Kelly is a spokesman for the Alachua County Sheriff's Office and he says "obviously they're going to gear it towards when kids are trick or treating." But he adds it's important for parents to do their own homework.
If you want to know where sexual offenders and predators are in your neighborhood, simply go online to the FDLE's website. There's a page where you can search your own home's area within a one mile radius.
In a one mile radius around WCJB, there are 21 listed sexual offenders. Within that one mile radius is the Mile Run subdivision. Chelsea Slaten is a resident.
"That's crazy because I guess this is a little more on the outskirts of town, but that's still crazy. This is a huge neighbhorhood and I can only imagine how many people we probably run into every day who are sexual predators."
Still, Kelly says the sweep is not as dramatic as you might think. Offenders aren't usually committing any kind of crime on Halloween because of the increased surveillance. He says "it's rare that it's an offense-related matter, it's usually a failure to change the address or a failure to notify the courts, a failure to register within the specified time period."
- Alachua County Sheriff's Deputies Create Workout for Fallen Officers
- Alachua County Sheriff's Deputies Rehabilitate Two Starved Horses
- Bradford County Sheriff's Office Marks Sexual Predator Residences
- Levy County Sheriff's Office Lieutenant Arrested for Armed Sexual Battery
- A Teen Shoots A Volusia County Sheriff's Deputy
- Man Shot by Dixie County Sheriff's Deputy
- Putnam County Sheriff's Deputy Shot
- Levy County Sheriff's Deputies Replace Inglis Police, Saves Town Money
- Alachua County Sheriff's Office Saves Woman from Pasco County
- Wanted Tennessee Fugitive Arrested Across the Street from Alachua County Sheriff's Office