A House Divided Between Gators and Seminoles Stands
Garnet and gold mixed in with the orange and blue as fans awaited the game between two of the biggest rivals in college football. Seminoles have indeed invaded the Swamp. And in some cases, they're in the same family. Like the Sicko family. They've been coming to the game together for 20 years.
"They drive down, they get in their car from Chicago," says Roxanne Robinson of her family. "They drive 17 hours straight after Thanksgiving dinner and come down for the weekend."
There really isn't much to separate the Gator fans from the Seminoles, but the most impressive distinction comes from one modern family. Scott Stole and his partner, Jay, live in Orlando but they're bringing their rivalry to the Swamp.
"It goes pretty well," says Stole. "Except for this week, but actually we get along fine. Everything works out until this week and fortunately the Gators have been on the best side of this situation for the past ten years."
They've been coming to this spot to tailgate for 10 years, inviting Gators and Seminoles alike to join them. That's ever since they've been together. So has the competition affected their relationship?
"No," Stole says. "But some good natured ribbing and fun and whoever ends up losing catches the raw end of the deal."
In any case, he says he's not worried.
"Both teams stink so we'll see what happens," Stole says, laughing.
With that philosophy, both men bring paraphernalia from each side...an FSU tent, a UF Tent, a flag separating a chomping Gator and an angry Seminole.
- House Passes Gambling Agreement With Seminoles
- County Commissioners Still Divided On the Sheriff's Budget
- Residents Remain Divided Over Cheaper Alternative to Bus Rapid Transit
- Stormwater Fees Conflict Cools Between City and School Board
- Walking the Fine Line Between Public and Private Emails
- Tentative Agreement Made Between Alachua County Sheriff's Office and Some of Its Officers
- Legal Battle Between GREC and GRU Continues
- Road Construction Between 8th & Depot Starts Today
- Vermillion Investigation Reveals Tensions Between ASO and GPD
- Your Health: New Research Explores the Link Between Periodontal Disease and Diabetes