Veterans Touched by Guardian Angels
"She wakes me up if I have flashbacks, wakes me up, calms me down."
Two years ago, Michael Gaither hardly left his house. He cut people and activities out of his life. Until he met Honey.
"If I drop something, she picks it up and hands it back to me. If I need help, she'll go outside, open the door, go outside, get my wife and bring her back in."
In fact, the bond is so intense between dog and owner that it was difficult to get Honey to sit on the couch for even a few minutes away from her master.
Gaither suffers from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, like Raymond Galmiche.
"You saw I was getting anxious and his reaction was to jump up on me and lick my face and paw me, give me lots of attention."
His guardian angel is Dazzle, a German Shepard who Galmiche says keeps him safe.
"That's what I love about him," he says, grinning. "He's my soul mate."
The Guardian Angels Medical Service Dogs program matches veterans with their soul mates to help them get their life and freedom back.
Carol Bordan is the founder of the program and she says, "it's amazing after four days of training, they tell me they can't imagine life without their dog after that."
Both veterans are just two several who celebrated their partnership with their service dogs at a ceremony on Saturday night.
"I was a proud soldier," says Galmiche. "I had a good life, proud of everybody who's ever been in my life, respectfully like that. And I kinda lost sight of that for a long time and now Dazzle is like a salvation."
This was the first time Raymond Galmiche chose to do an interview and the courage it took was...dazzling to behold.
- "Guardian Angels Medical Service Dogs"
- County to decide if Guardian Angels gets special exception permit
- Guardians for Local Neglected and Abused Children
- "Touch-A-Truck" Entertains Children and Families, Draws Assortment of Trucks
- 2012 'Teacher of the Year' Resigns After Entering Agreement on Charge of Touching a Student
- Marion County Teacher Accused of Inappropriately Touching Students
- Jury Finds Man Not Guilty of Touching Young Girl
- Angel Tree Program Helps Less Fortunate
- Angels on the Water
- "Layaway Angels" Flying Through Gainesville