Clay County Deputy Killed
MIDDLEBURG, Fla. (AP) - Authorities say a Clay County Sheriff's Office narcotics detective investigating a tip related to drugs at a Middleburg home and another man have been killed in a gunfight.
The Florida Times-Union Ireports that spokeswoman Mary Justino says 35-year-old David White was a nine-year veteran of the sheriff's office when he was killed Thursday evening.
Five men are in custody and no information was immediately released on the other man who was killed.
Justino says a small group of detectives tried to speak to a man at the door when it was slammed shut. She says shots were fired when the detectives tried to force their way in.
Matt Hanlin, a second detective, was shot in the arm and received surgery at Orange Park Medical Center.
- Deputies catch sexual predator wanted in connection with abduction, murder
- Clay County deputy will soon return to work after shooting
- Clay County man shot and killed in front yard
- Skateboarder Killed in Early Morning Crash
- Woman Shot and Killed in Clay County
- Clay County fire damages home, kills pets
- Nearly Two Years After Tree Trimming Accident, Mom Speaks Out
- Prostitution Bust Sends 16 To Clay County Jail
- Former Marion County deputy killed in traffic crash
- Deputy Returns Fire, Kills Man