Community Pays Homage To Legendary Leader With Building Dedication
He is a legend in his community; a dynamic leader who created a safe haven for children when often their lives were filled with instability.
Friday, the community that Clarence R. Kelly loved so much honored him by dedicating a community center in his name.
The Clarence R. Kelly Community Center and Park was dedicated in recognition of the man who served as director there for 35 years.
Many who came said they are in their forties now, but were children when they met the 6-foot-5 Kelly.
He taught them about hygiene, how to tie their shoes, how to share and how to resolve their differences without fighting.
But beyond the simple lessons, several of Kelly's former students say he became a father to them.
And because of Kelly, three generations of educators, police officers, and lawyers were produced.
A wall mural paying homage to Kelly's legacy was unveiled at the ceremony. It showcases Kelly, his grandson, and several other children who attened the recreation center in northeast Gainesville.
- Community pays homages to former City Manager
- New GPD Building Dedicated to Officers Who Made A Difference
- Alachua County School Board announces dedicated early learning center
- Interview: Leadercast, Building Leaders Worth Following
- Couple Wants To Build Home; Town Leaders Say No
- Old Building Is New Again in Tuscawilla Park
- Plans For The Vacant Gainesville Correctional Institution Building
- GPD receives grant to build youth relationships
- Building back your body after a mastectomy
- Waldo agrees to pay off debt from use of center