Inspirational Messages in Schools
There's a bill on Governor Scott's Desk.
Some parents say it could help students....alachua county school board officials say it could open up a can of worms.
What both sides are talking about is a bill allowing students to lead "inspirational messages" at school.
TV 20's Duke Carter joins us now...and supporters of the bill say its unconstitutional because it doesn't specify the message has to be a prayer or promote religion.
Some residents I spoke to say when they were in school prayer was allowed.
With the new bill waiting to be signed by the governor some residents were excited to hear "inspirational messages" could be in public schools.
"I feel that prayer is obviously important because its our communication with God."
Parent of two Danette Dragoset feels prayer is beneficial not only for herself...
I pray often and is apart of my spirtual life."
But for her children as well.
"we pray as a family in our home and I encourage them to pray in such thngs in life like tests."
With the new bill waiting to be signed by Scott, she feels students will be able to express themselves.
"I believe you can not restrict or prohibit anyoe from praying within themselves at any point and time."
"opponents of the bill say its an attempt to get around the ban on school organized prayer and they the bill could lead to lawsuits. Alachua County School Board Officials agree."
"when it comes to legislation like this the devil is in the details."
Alachua County School Board officials say it puts them in a rough spot because they now have to figure out what's considered "inspirational" or face a lawsuit in the courtroom."
"but when folks suggested the legislature take on the costs of the fighting off any lawsuits the legislature rejected that."
But regardless of th possible new law it won't stop Dragoset from going to a higher power."
"a bill is not going to stop me or permit from praying."
Officials are now waitign on technical assistance papers.
They argue lawsuits against the school districts will take away resources that should be spent on educating students.
- Governor Rick Scott Signs Inspirational Messages Bill
- "Inspiration Message" Bill on Governor's Desk
- 'Inspirational Message' Bill Makes its Way to Governor
- Inspirational Messages Bill Sure to Spur Lawsuits
- Alachua County School Board Debates Implementing School Uniforms
- Mebane Middle School Student Inspires Porter's Pink Passion Day
- School District Unveils Text Message Emergency Contact System
- Two Stolen School Buses from Alachua County Found Near Jacksonville
- Alachua County Student Assaulted At School
- Alachua County School Board Tentative Budget