A Family That Exercises Together, Stays Healthy Together
Published April 29th, 2012
"We definitely promote physical fitness and health," said Crystal McCoy. "We try to eat much better, we haven't always done that, but we've gotten to it now that the kids are getting older."
With a six and seven-year-old at home Crystal and Shawn McCoy have big roles to play.
"We know it's going to be their foundation, if we start it now hopefully they'll always remember it," Crystal adds.
That's why they had a family day at the Gainesville Health and Fitness event this afternoon at Santa Fe College.
More than 500 people came out in today's 90 degree weather.... playing some games and being active.
"We are just promoting fitness and health in the family because a lot of times the school aren't able to implement that," said Jennette Holzworth, a personal Trainer at Gainesville Health and Fitness. "So getting it into the families and getting the families excited about fitness is going to make healthier kids, healthier families."
For the fifth year in a row, families got to come out to this free event to not only play around but to learn a thing or two.
" We learned about getting muscles and helping our hearts," said Blake McCoy
"...taking care of your heart and eating right," adds his sister Madisen McCoy.
Local schools checked in, and the school with the most participation today will receive a $500 grant for their physical education department.
"Those funds go straight to the P.E. department for the teachers to use, for equipments or resources like that that they might need," said Holzworth.
And after a hot and active day, the McCoys plan to come back to play at the gym's next event during the fall.
"It's a good opportunity to come out with the kids and get away from the video games and enjoy some of the nice weather that we're having," said Shawn McCoy.
- 1/14/13 Fitzness Minute: Healthy Vacation
- 1/21/13 Fitzness Minute: Healthy Cruising
- 5/27/13 Fitzness Minute: Healthy Indulgence
- Rebuilding New Homes Together
- Cousins Graduate Together, Continue Family Tradition
- 10/15/12 Fitzness Minute: Get into the CrossFit Craze
- A New Beginning for One Jacksonville Family
- Steps Parents Should Take to Ensure Kids Stay Healthy
- Gainesville Fossil Trader is Arrested and Charged
- Gainesville Police Department's New Special Operations Unit