Police Say Shooting Victim Fired Shots Into Crowd
A Hawthorne man who was shot and killed last week was armed with a handgun and fired shots into a crowd that had gathered during an argument, Alachua County Sheriff's officials say.
Investigators say Calvin Thomas and a dozen others were involved in a dispute over family issues when he pulled a gun from his car and started shooting on April 25.
Witnesses told police that Thomas was then shot by someone in the crowd.
Police say they have spoken with witnesses and have leads as to the identity of the shooter.
But sherriff's officials say whether or not any charges will be filed is up to the state's attorney's office once the shooter is identified.
- ACSO Lieutenant Under Investigation After He Accidentally Shot His Gun at the Courthouse
- Alachua County Sheriff's Deputies Create Workout for Fallen Officers
- Two Marion County Sheriff's Officials Come Under Fire After Internal Investigations
- Marion County Sheriff's Office Granted More Money for Cars
- Sheriff's office hosts youth dialogue session
- Sheriff's Office investigates two suicides at the jail
- Bradford County Sheriff's Office creates safe place for online sales
- Marion County Sheriff's Office looking into possible connected armed robberies
- Commissioners want less drug possession arrests, cut sheriff's budget
- Wanted Tennessee Fugitive Arrested Across the Street from Alachua County Sheriff's Office