Craig Carter defeats Susan Bottcher 53-47%...Todd Chase wins easily...Annie Orlando & Helen Warren go to runoff
10 Year Old Saves the Day in Sturgeon Accident
It wasn't a picture perfect weekend for Brianne Megargel, but as of today her family says that she's in stable condition after getting knocked out of her boat by a sturgeon.
Last year (2011), 6 people were injured by the fish and Brianne's is the second encounter for 2012.
While reflecting on the accident Brianne's husband of 5 and a half years, Steve Megargel says, "I call it a miracle, they call it lucky."
Both may have kept Brianne alive after she was knocked out of her boat Sunday afternoon by a sturgeon on the Suwannee River.
The flying fish broke 3 of her ribs, both of her arms, knocked out 4 of her teeth and lacerated her liver.
Steve Megargal says, "It's a miracle that it wasn't any worse, if it would've been six inches higher or six inches lower, we'd probably be picking out flowers right now."
Megargel describes the fish that hit his wife as being between 50 and 60 pounds... about the same size as his 10yr old son, Greyson Elmore.
But Greyson made up for his small frame; taking the wheel of the boat as his Dad Steven attempted to revive his Mom Brianne.
Greyson says, "I couldn't stay calm, I was panicking."
Greyson's steady hands were enough to get the family away from the swift currents and towards the safety of a floating dock in Manatee Springs, where Steven was able to get Brianne breathng again.
As of Tuesday afternoon Brianne was still in Shands where she has been since Sunday.
She will have surgery on Wedenesday. Chris Gilmore TV20.
- Area 96 Year Old World War II Veteran Awarded Bronze Star
- Baseball Bat Saves the Day in Attempted Ocala Gas Station Robbery
- A Reason to Celebrate for Suwannee County Residents in Storm Affected Areas
- Cluster of Sinkholes in Suwannee County Leaves Man at the Mercy of FEMA
- Suwannee County Residents Call on Power of Prayer for Jane Doe
- 82 Year Old Man Murdered In Suwannee County
- Algae Levels on Santa Fe River Still a Concern
- Santa Fe River Rapidly Rising
- Thanksgiving Holiday Ends in Fatal Hit and Run Accident for FSU Student
- Series of Car Accidents Plague Gainesville Roadway