Pill Mill Bust on Newberry Road
A statewide series of "pill mill" busts included one clinic in North Central Florida.
The Drug Enforcement Agency shut down The Gainesville Health and Wellness Clinic on Newberry Road.
There were seven of these busts happening this morning across the state.
According to the report from the Department of Health, there have been at least three drug overdoses attributed to this clinic.
One of the patients we spoke to says that he had no idea the clinic was operating as a Pill Mill.
"I'm just trying to get my body well, and because of some druggies who are doing the wrong thing, now we all are suffering."
The DEA, along with other law enforcement agencies, arrested Dale Gatlin at the clinic today.
He is not the doctor they were looking for.
He was actually a positive surprise to police, because he is the manager for similar clinics around Florida.
He did not respond to our camera today.
Jeff Walsh from the Miami DEA office says this clinic has a lot of the typical signs of a pill mill.
Some of those signs include a cash only system, and few medical supplies in the building.
Walsh says the clinic has been operating for about 8 months here in Gainesville, and it benefits the whole community when they are able to shut down this type of operation.
"Seven people a day die from pain medicine from places such as these pill mills, and it is very important to the state of Florida to shut them down."
- State Attorney General addresses pill mill problems
- Pill Bust in Marion County
- Nine Arrested in Bradford County Undercover Rx Pill Bust
- Your Health: Do Diet Pills Really Work?
- Women's Health Handbook Part 1: What to expect in your 20's
- 6/24/13 Fitzness Minute: Sports Bra Guide
- Wellness Walks Program Combating Obesity In Alachua County
- 1/7/13 Fitzness Minute: Weighted Stability Ball
- Health Interview On Ways To Keep The Gym Fun
- 2/4/13 Fitzness Minute: Quick Cardio Workout